Love Birds Blue Willow Necklace
Blue Willow love birds are nestled into an elegant floral framed bezel. The filigree edging features intricate vines and flowers making this necklace is an elegant piece.
The back of this broken china pendant necklace is very smooth and finished with epoxy resin to seal the china and creating a silky finish that will rest nicely against your skin and clothing. Wear it long, wear it short, it’s rhodium plated stainless steel chain is available in a number of lengths.
This is a one of kind pendant, there will never be another exactly the same.
Blue Willow pottery is produced in many places throughout the world and is still in production; this piece was made in Japan.
The very first china bearing this design was made in 1790 at the Caughley Pottery Works in Shropshire, England. The pattern has been recreated many times all over the world and continues to remind us of the ancient love story of Chang and Kwang-se.
The plate design is based on an ancient Chinese legend where two young lovers, Chang and Kwang-se are about to be killed when they are miraculously transformed into a pair of turtle doves. Kwang-se was ‘high born’ and Chang, her father’s clerk, was a commoner and they could not marry. The young lover’s spirits live on as they soar the skies forever.
An ancient Staffordshire poem about the love story ends with this verse:
“In the oft quoted plate two birds are perceived,
High in the heaven above:
These are the spirits of Chang and Kwang-se,
A twin pair of ever in love”.
Construction and Materials
- 36mm antiqued silver 1.4 inches
- 25mm hand shaped Blue Willow cabochon
- rhodium plated stainless steel link chain (16/18/20/24/30 inches)
- stainless steel lobster clasp
- epoxy resin sealed pendant backing
Shipping and Handling
- parcels are sent via Canada Post, small packet
- average 5-8 business days for US delivery, 2-4 days Canadian delivery
- shipped within 3 business days, often sooner
- packaged for gift giving: jewelry box, tissue, wrapping, ribbon
The Fine Details
- prices in Canadian dollars
- don’t forget to grab your 20% off coupon code on your first order
- free shipping on orders over $75 (Canadian funds)
- please expect minor surface and edge imperfections due to the manufacturing process and age of the vintage china